Saturday, February 4, 2012

And It Broke my Heart

"You have such pretty hair"

I normally would give an immediate thank you,
or reply with a typical,
"oh goodness it needs a color and trim so bad" 
only realizing when it's too late a thank you was never mentioned.

But this time, 
a lump in my throat formed
and I was at a loss of words.

"Thank you" I said as I looked back at her
wearing her bright blue bandana.

"I used to wear mine that length before I got sick...",
she said as she remembered what it was like to have thick hair.

When she drove away I thought about the conversation we held
for the few minutes as I ran her transaction.

And my heart broke.
It broke because it was another example of how unfair life is,
and how her life was changed the minute she found out it was breast cancer.

It made me think of the song by Reba.
What do you say?
What do you say in a moment like this?
When you can't find the words to tell it like it is...
Just bite your tongue and let your heart lead the way...

Every. single. day. I gripe and complain about something.
The way I look.
My hair not laying right...or it's too frizzy.
My job being stressful at times.
or even something as simple as
it being too cold outside.

I'm human, and I make mistakes
but I feel as if I use that excuse too much.

So starting right now...
I'm going to try my best to not complain so freakin' much.
It's gonna be a daily struggle.
It's gonna be hard.
But I'm going to do my best.




via

4 comments:

Meagan said...

Thanks for sharing this!! Gratitude has always been something i need to work on! this helped me today

Krista said...

Thanks for sharing that experience, it is a beautiful reminder for us all.

Lil' Woman said...

What a good reminder for all of us....thanks for sharing girl :)

Bizi Ferguson said...

What a great post. So glad I came across your blog. I needed a little pick me up like this! Now following :)

Bizi
www.thebizibee.com