Friday, February 3, 2012

Running Review...

For those that have stumbled across this little post, 
you may not know that I am working my way to getting in shape.
Mentally, physically, and emotionally.

It's been right at ten days since I, so very bravely I say, registered for
It's been something I have wanted to do for so, so long,
and the thought of actually doing one is not only exciting,
but honestly very scary in my opinion.

The fun part about this whole game plan is that I can now 
use my blog as a way to write down everything that I come across in 
these months of preparation.
And knowing that next year I can look back on these days
and say,
"I have come so far"..
it absolutely excites me!

So far here's the skinny on what I'm noticing....

The shoes:
They are so far, very comfortable.
Before I was wearing a shoe by Adidas that was actually
made for trail running. It had no support what so ever except
for what was made in the shoe.
 I am still getting used to the inserts that I got,
but so far they are feeling good.


Training location:
Most of my sessions have taken place at the local
civic center where I have joined.
The indoor track is perfect for what I'm doing, 
and where it's at is great because it's so close to my work.


Exercise / Training program:
As of right now, I am doing my own little program
I've compiled through research.
Huh? What?
Well..at the track that I go to 10 laps equal 1 mile.
Each week I am making it a goal to increase my first set of running laps by 1.
For example this week:
Walk 2, Run 3, Walk 2, Run 2, Walk 1, Run 1, Walk 2
If I feel like I need to stay at the same amount then I will.
But for right now, it seems to be working for me.
I do this a minimum of 3 days a week with at least 2 resting days.
This is my plan until I can continuously run a mile non stop.
Then I will work my way up to a continuous 3 mile run.
By July I will hopefully be in check to 
 start on a 1/2 marathon training program a friend recommended to me

Aches/ Pains:
Shin Splints.
They are killer.
I'm working on stretching longer, and more thorough.
I know that that's the key to escaping injuries.
And besides, I know I'm carrying weight plus my muscles
are starting to get used after being asleep for so long.

Nutrition / eating habits:
This is honestly a work in progress.
I've done great with dropping the sodas.
It's the part of finding recipes and cooking healthy that's challenging.
I'm drinking water, water, water...
and trying to stay positive that just that will make a difference,
I just need to give it time.

Goals achieved:
I was stuck on not being able to make a second consecutive lap.
This week I got to three!
I sent this picture to my honey when I did my cool down lap.
 
Excuse the blurry, motion caused kind of quality.

So far I'm feeling good.
I'm ten days in and although I know that it may seem small,
I've building that stamina up slowly but surely.

I'm excited to see what 
I'll be doing 8 months in!


via

5 comments:

Amber said...

So freakin proud of you!!! I'm telling you that after finishing my fifth week, I can already tell a huge difference in myself, so keep going!!! I'm going to register next month and I'll let you know when I do officially. I told David "I have to do this for myself!" And I thought it was funny, that was one of the shoes that they recommended when I went and got fit! I still haven't bought any yet though. Have a great Friday and weekend! We'll be up there the last weekend of Feb. Maybe we can go run together? : )

mama marchand said...

So proud of you, lady! Doesn't it feel good to finally have the motivation to do this thing? I'm with ya, sister!

Heather said...

Keep going. I know it's hard. 320 Sycamore's post yesterday was really good about excerise.
She had a quote that said
'it takes 4 weeks for you to see your body change, 8 weeks for your family to see the change, and 12 weeks for the world to see the change. Give it 12 weeks. Don't give up.'
I thought that was really motivating! Don't you LOVE all the inspiration and motivation on Pinterest!?
Good Luck.

Heather said...

Oh, one more thing. Don't get too caught up in these Pinterest pictures of rail thin 20 year old girls. It got to me for awhile ...that's just not real. Just saying. :)

Krista said...

Good for you Elizabeth! Proud of you girl!