Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sun Damage

So I think it's finally sinking in on just how bad the sun is for our skin.

A little back ground lesson from Liz.
My mom had Melanoma when I was around 8 years old.
I remember the doctors saying they got it all off her back, and every year
praising the Lord she was yet another year cancer free.

Then in '98, her cancer came back.
Six months later, she passed away.



Earlier today while playing around with my camera,
I took some pictures of my face with no intentions of letting the world
see me without a stitch of make up on...and that was when
I noticed just how bad my face looks from the sun.





And the sad thing about it is it will never look the same.
Sure, I can cover it up with make up, and make myself look
good as new, but what's underneath is the real part.



I don't know why I have a membership to Sun Tan City.
I don't know why I feel the need to buy the Black Onyx Tanning Lotions...
because honestly, it's like smacking my mom in the face.

So from here on out...
it's not gonna be about 
the Summer glow, and the sun kissed skin..
it's going to be staying healthy 
not only for myself,
but for my husband and family.
They need me.

8 comments:

mama marchand said...

This is a good reminder, friend. I think you're beautiful!

Kim said...

Great post!! I will take the teasing all day every day about how white I am, and my dad finally asked me why I was so concerned... the sun is not always our friend!! My grannie always told me to take care of my skin, teeth and eyes.

Use the Jergens (or wal mart brand) healthy glow lotions... no danger of cancers in those!!

Syndal said...

it's a very powerful reminder. so sorry you lost your mom to it. you deserve to be good to yourself-no no no tanning!

Heather said...

Great post. Thanks for that. My face is the same if not worse. Why am I addicted to that brown skin. I crave it. Even when I know its a big risk. I look at all those brown spots on my face everyday and hate them. Put on my concealor and pretend that nothing will ever happen to me.....wow

Traci said...

Versa Spa girl! Sunless tanning is the way to go! :)

Traci said...

Versa Spa girl! Sunless tanning is the way to go! :)

Amber said...

Sorry to hear about your mom! xoxo Start spray tanning girl :)

Krista said...

Hooray for you! I admire your bravery in sharing this and making the effort to change. I'm sure your mom would be very proud!