Thursday, April 7, 2011

That Little Green Monster

...totally came out of hiding this afternoon.


Yea...he looked like that.

Teeth, tongue and all.

And then I felt convicted.

and ashamed of myself.

Because I know that my husband knows what he is doing for our family.

I know that he knows my desire to have a baby, and I know he has said one day...

but not right now.

But then I want a new car.

Because I am tired of driving the one I have..

even though it's completely paid off, which means one less car payment.

And when he says no to looking at cars this weekend...

I go on to wanting to add some shrubs and trees to our yard...

when I know that is money right there.

And when he says, "why don't we focus on just cleaning out the front hedge....",

I move on to wanting a new laptop because "the Mini Netbook I got from his dad is too small"....

I know something I need to work on.

and it starts with a C.

It's called contentment.

It's called being focused on all of the many blessings I have here and now...

because one day...

that baby will be here...along with medical bills, and diapers....and new clothes...

and that ol' Grand Am that I am skirtin' around town in now is going to give up and die...

and we might not have the funds for a new car, but will be left with no other choice than to buy a new car.

And now as I type, I am so thankful that my hubby doesn't give me everything I want.

I have a friend who has a husband like that.

Everything she wants, he gives it to her...no matter if it's paid with cash or put on a card.

Which hey, each to their own.

I just know that obviously if I got everything I wanted...we'd be sitting in the poor house.

6 comments:

tricia said...

LOVE this post. :) It's hard reigning in those material desires - been there, done that, still dealing! Dave Ramsey helped us out in a big way - I recommend him to everyone!

Beach Bum & Baby said...

I'm a new reader! I found you on "The Workaholic Momma's" sidebar. This post is amazing, I totally understand what you mean! And I look forward to reading more from you! :)

Happiness Is... said...

I was just having a similar conversation with a good friend - we are both working hard on living in the present! Why wish today away when you really don't know what tomorrow will bring...and stuff is just stuff after all, right? Easier said than done, I know!!!

Amber said...

I completely understand how you feel. I go through stages like that where I want, want, want. I've been trying really hard to be content also with what I have. I know that I'm overly blessed and don't deserve what I have already. Especially since it hit me a few months ago that if I walk around with that attitude all the time, then Olivia's going to grow up having that attitude also. I don't want to raise a child who constantly wants, wants, wants. I know that has to start with me and it's hard to look in that mirror sometimes. And like you said, we would be living in the poor house next you if I got everything I wanted! : )

Tami said...

Great post! I find myself always wanting something but when I take a step back I realize that I rarely NEED any of it! :)

Raven said...

perfectly spoken! And take it from me, as a mom of 2 young kids, WAIT! haha! Just kidding, I really do like them. And also take it from me, no car payment is much better than a car payment, no matter what car you have!! :) Have a good weekend