Sunday, November 14, 2010

Our Weekend in Memphis

This weekend the hubs and I took a much needed weekend get a way trip to Memphis to visit our friends, Dale and Bridget.

The hubs and Dale has been friends for just about forever, 15+ years to be exact. They go way back.

I really enjoyed the weekend because this was the first time I really got to know Bridget, Dale's wife. They are one of the sweetest couples we know, and it only makes me wish even more that we lived closer to each other.

Our first night after eating dinner at Rafferty's (they have the best salads!), we came home and did this:



It was perfect after a long day at work and a long drive.

Saturday we woke up to a dreary, rainy day but that didn't stop us from having a wonderful time.

We ate at a popular restaurant in Memphis called The Blue Plate Cafe.

Image from Yelp
This is what the portions at this place look like, and that's not even including the biscuits and gravy you receive as well. Every bit was absolutely delicious and I am sure we will be returning on our next visit to Memphis. I even saw an old friend who I hadn't seen in years. It was great to get a chance to catch up, even if it was just a few moments.

We then had a day's worth of touring the streets of Memphis via vehicle since the weather was a little wet and dreary.

We were going to take a tour of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital but unfortunately the hospital only gives tours Monday - Friday at the request of an appointment.

We instead toured the Danny Thomas- Alsac Pavilion that is right next to the Hospital. What a life that man led, and I was so happy I got a chance to learn about it.


Danny Thomas- Alsac Pavilion



A beautiful carving within the Chapel at the Pavilion
St, Jude
Finally when the rain let up, we were able to walk around on these beautiful brick streets of Memphis.

However, we did have an 1.5 hours till we could see the Peabody ducks...so we decided to head to The Flying Saucer.

It's a fun little bar with a cool atmosphere. Unfortunately, I left my ID in the car so I couldn't get a drink. (Strange enough...I have gathered a taste for beer! Crazy, crazy...because for the longest time I thought it was disgusting, but now I love it!)

Bridget and Dale.
The hubs and I
 After wards, we headed to the Peabody Hotel. This hotel is not only beautiful but is 70+ years in age.

Apparently, one of the main reason's this hotel is so big with the tourist is for the Duck show. Yes, these ducks are treated like Royalty...walking the red carpet, going up an elevator to retreat to their duck rooms. I'm not lying....proof is in the pictures.

These ducks swim in this fountain all day up until 5PM when they walk the carpet.
One by one...there they go.
Cute but note to self: don't play with the settings when picture taking.
And of course, visiting Memphis isn't complete without walking on Beale Street. Let me just say, if you're a people watching kind of person...like me, this is the perfect place to take a moment and just watch the random kinds of people that walk by. It's very amusing to say the least.

I wish I would have caught the name of this store we went in, but it had the most.random.anything.and.everything.type.things. I loved it. You would look at one side and see magnets, then look to the other side and see watermelon china, and then look ahead and see over sized fly swatters.

We had fun with these things...

I'll take one of these....

and one of these for my hot hubs...
...and of course while walking down Beale Street, I had to get a picture with this guy...


It was such a fun day, but unfortunately the hub's back started hurting pretty bad. Poor thing was in so much pain, but luckily we were able to get a muscle relaxer in him along with some Alleve and he was a new man (for the most part).

This morning we woke up to clear skies and beautiful weather.

I took advantage of the weather by snapping a few pictures with my new camera, which I might add I love, before heading back to Nashville.

Guitar Hero + Morning Coffee :)


The trees were amazing...
Lovely back yard



And lovin' on Sweet Miss Lucy made me miss my puppies even more!

Needless to say, we had a great time and are now relaxing before the new work week! 


1 comment:

Paige said...

I must mention once again, that I love how you and your Hubs take weekend trips. I think that is something that you to will really love to look back on in future. Duck show? I can only imagine how that is..